Friday, December 21, 2012

First School Performance for Cutter

Cutter at far left-hand side
 On Wednesday evening, I braved the holiday traffic to drive to Cutter's school, The Cedar River Academy for their Winter Concert. Daughter, Katie (aka Cutter's mom) teaches at this small private school in Enumclaw.


Katie Laramore with Bode & Cutter
From my office in South Seattle, it took me almost two hours to drive to Enumclaw and find the school on a dark and rainy night, so I arrived a few minutes after the concert had begun, but luckily Cutter had not yet gone onstage.  There was a group of tiny children onstage playing violins when I slid into the seat next to Jill and Rick Laramore that they had kindly saved for me.  Meanwhile, Kevin Laramore was on "Bodezilla duty" which involved standing in the back of the auditorium and trying to keep Bode entertained. 

Cutter with his class
Cutter is the youngest child in the Pre-K class and in the entire school, but seemed quite comfortable as he took the stage with the other children.  I didn't see him join in the singing very much but he incorporated hand motions (when his hands weren't shoved in his pockets) that seemed to go along with the singing in some way.

Cutter and Cathi
I never realized that some of the songs performed had so many verses, but each song went on and on.  The star performance was the Twelve Days of Christmas which had been re-written with new lyrics and re-named the Twelve Days of Knowledge Fair.  See lyrics below.  Of course the favorite line of the song is the fifth day in either version and the children sang that line the loudest each time.  A little red-haired boy on the far right-hand side of the front row shouted the line as loudly as he could which Cutter found quite entertaining and kept leaving his place at the far left-hand side of the front row to admire his friend's performance.  With each next stanza, the line became louder and LOUDER.

On the 1st day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . . Do your personal best.
On the 2nd day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . . Write a five page essay
On the 3rd day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . .Here's some rubber cement
On the 4th day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . . Where's your home project?
On the 5th day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . . THAT PAPER'S CROOKED
On the 6th day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . . Edit your essay
On the 7th day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . . Where's my Starbucks?
On the 8th day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . . You're doing splendid
On the 9th day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . .Why are you crying?
On the 10th day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . . You're almost finished
On the 11th day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . . Go get your board
On the 12th day of Knowledge Fair, my teacher said to me . . . I deserve a raise

Cutter with classroom pet turtle
 
Following the performance, the audience and the students adjourned to the lobby for sweets and juice and we had a chance to see both Cutter's and Katie's classrooms which I especially enjoyed and the opportunity to meet the pet turtle in Cutter's classroom too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis