Sunday, October 2, 2011

Klepto Ken at Apple Fest in Carnation

Denise Nielsen, Joyce McCallum, Jan Rogers, Cathi Hatch
(in my orange vest), Trudi Syferd, Kathie Price
Yesterday Ken and I joined our friends, Nancy & Van Strom at their traditional and festive Apple Fest party on their farm in Carnation.  It was a crisp fall day and the men took turns pressing the apples to produce fresh apple juice while we all sampled the fresh juice mixed with a bit of rum to warm up the afternoon.

I was wearing my new golf vest and shirt and got several comments from the men that I looked like a highway construction worker with my orange vest!  Obviously, they don't have a clue about style!

Spike Anderson, Ken Hatch and our hostess, Nancy Strom
Some of the guests included Joyce & Doug McCallum and their two cute granddaughters, Trudi & Dave Syferd, Carol & Spike Anderson, Suzy & Moe Krabbe, Denise & Michael Nielsen, Jan Rogers, Kathie Price, Susan Taylor, Peggy & Mike Swistak, Toni & Rod Hoffman and many others.

Following the apple pressing, we all gathered on the big covered porch for a celebration dinner featuring Nancy & Van's amazing sauerkraut along with the most decadent whipped potatoes I have ever tasted (yes, I had to have two helpings!) and pulled pork and grilled sausages along with other salad and vegetable sides.  Nancy and Van really know how to entertain and this party is such a highlight!

visible l-r: Michael Swistak, Denise Nielsen, Suzy Krabbe,
Toni Hoffman, Denny Rood
The funniest part of the story occurred the next morning when Ken told me that he had pulled a sterling butter knife out of his pants pocket along with a paper cocktail napkin when he got home last night.  Though he didn't remember doing it, he was so worried that he had inadvertently stolen a knife and wondered whether someone had seen him put it in his pocket and that maybe he was an unconscious kleptomaniac.

I giggled when he told me his concern, because I knew the REAL story.  My friend, Jan Rogers, had brought along several assorted service pieces including the aforementioned knife that people had left at her house after a recent party.  When she handed me the knife, I didn't have my handbag with me and my slacks did not have pockets, so I quickly dropped the knife in Ken's pocket along with my car keys.  He was talking with people and didn't actually notice what I was doing.  And later, when I needed the car keys, he just pulled them out and gave them to me.

So it wasn't until he got home and was cleaning out his pockets that he actually discovered the knife and began to question his sanity.  Of course, I didn't actually alleviate his worry when he confided his concern, because I told him that I questioned his sanity too!  Tee hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis