Friday, June 1, 2012

In the Winemaker's Studio with Kara Castillo

Jamee Nunnelee
Jamee Nunnelee, ZINO Society Membership VP interviews ZINO Society Wine Professional Member Kara Castillo of Castillo de Feliciana:



The Castillo Family - Sam, Deborah, Kara,
and Winemaker Christopher








Jamee:  When did you fall in love with wine?
Kara:  I fell in love with wine at an early age.  At family social gatherings we ALWAYS had a bottle of wine open to share with loved ones and family.  At first my love affair was with consuming wine but since my father decided to start a vineyard & winery as a retirement plan I fell in love with helping my family at wine events and selling to local restaurants and wine shops.  So my love affair is about my love for my family.

Jamee:  What was your inspiration for your wine label?  Why the picture?
Kara:  The inspiration for our label came from an idea my mom presented to our family friend and local artist Janice Seino.  We wanted dancing, vineyard and Spanish culture to come together in a picture that represented our family as well as the wines we produce.  The black purse as our logo came from the nose of wine- leather, tobacco, juicy fruit gum and rose petals- these smells reminded my mother of her Great Aunt Feliciana's purse.  As a child she would dig in Feliciana's purse to get gum.  So many memories of Feliciana would come to my mother as she was enjoying a glass of wine.  This is how the name "Castillo de Feliciana" was born.

Jamee:  What year did you release your first vintage?
Kara:  2007

Jamee:  How many cases of wine do you produce annually?
Kara:  2500

Jamee:  What wines are you known for?
Kara:  Tempranillo, Albarino, Malbec

Jamee:  Though you may look up to many, name just one person in the wine business that you hope to emulate and why. 
KaraRobert Mondavi- his tenacity and perseverance as well as his commitment to family, friends and quality are all traits I strive for each and every day.

Jamee:  What is your favorite place to drink wine and who is your favorite person to drink wine with?
Kara:  My favorite place to drink wine is on the beach with my best friend.  


JameeWhat is your most memorable experience with your wine?  
Kara:  Since we are such a new and growing winery- each event that we do is memorable.  I love seeing our Flamenco Wine Club family grow and hearing what they love about being part of our family as well as how we can make things better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis