Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Leaving the Snow for a Palm Desert Get-Away

Entrance to Overlake Golf & Country Club, Medina
Seattle lay under at least 6 inches of snow and no one had dared to drive in three days when I got out our old 4-wheel drive Ford Explorer to go pick up my golf clubs at Overlake Golf & Country Club in Medina.  Because I was so excited to play golf during my upcoming weekend in Palm Desert, I was willing to risk life to get my golf clubs.  What a desolate, cold and snowy place, but Pat in the Pro Shop was right there to bring out my golf clubs since he was there working on the club remodel.  

Patty & Jimmy Barrier with Leisa Austin, Imago Galleries
On Friday afternoon, I boarded Barrier Air along with Patty Barrier, Lance Mueller and Carol Wright for our flight to Palm Springs looking forward to warm weather activities for the weekend.  On Saturday, we awakened to a beautiful day and with my darling friend, Patty Barrier, took a meandering walk through the The Reserve before heading to the golf course to play 18 holes.  It started a little windy and progressively got stronger so that by the 16th hole, our visors were flying down the fairway and we could hardly keep our footing.  It did wonders for our drives when the wind was going in the right direction, however.  Later we found out that the winds were only 1 mile per hour less than hurricane force winds and that there was wind damage everywhere throughout the Coachella Valley!

My favorite in the
Oben Abright collection.

On Saturday evening we attending the opening reception for glass artist Oben Abright at the Imago Galleries in Palm Desert owned by Leisa & David Austin.  His art work was fascinating and disturbing all at the same time.  By the time we arrived, all the display pieces were sold with the exception of two pieces.  My favorite had been sold and was a quarter-scale standing man with a gold coat.  There were many other artists represented at the gallery including our favorites from the Pacific Northwest; Dale ChihulyBilly Morris, Dennis Evans and Ginny Ruffner, as well as other favorites Lino Tagliapietra, Tom Wesselman and many other fascinating artists represented as well.  I went to the party along with Patty & Jimmy Barrier and it was nice to see friends there including Esther & Walter Schoenfeld, Jan & Don Kline and Sandra & Gary Schnitzer.

Cathi Hatch and Patty Barrier with Haystack behind us.

On Sunday morning, Patty and I enjoyed a hike on the Art Smith Trail.  It was a beautiful morning and and though we had a medical emergency (broken fingernail), our hike was a treat.  It was a beautiful 2-1/2 mile trail with switchbacks up the side of the canyon led by The Reserve Golf Pro and Fitness Center Director, Lisa Miller along with her assistant, Kristina Zenone.  Following the hike, we did find time to stop for a latte and then to visit the street fair to find a couple of bargains.

And then on Sunday evening, Patty & Jimmy and I went to Carol Wright's home for a cocktail party and it was great to see many Seattle friends including Becky Benaroya, Mark Levine, Vicki & Ed Rauscher, Gladys Rubenstein, Shelley & Doug Swerland, Tina & Stuart Mandel, Esther & Walter Schoenfeld, Jerry Olson and his partner, Raymond and several others.  Though Carol claimed that she hasn't cooked since she was 20 years old, the hors d'oeuvres were fantastic and she was completely organized and it was a great party.

On Monday morning, Patty and I were off to a great Pilates mat class followed by the Liberty Lunch which I detailed in my previous post.  And then sadly, my glorious respite came to an end, though my trip home was delightful on luxurious Barrier Air with Jimmy Barrier and Mick Schreck.

It was truly a delightful weekend which felt like a real get-away and the really good news was that the snow was melted by the time I got home on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Fantastic Blog,I Feel this is one of the most essential information for me. And i am very happy reading your blog. But wanna say few general things on your blog , The site style is great, the blog is really very nice and Informative. Good job...

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis